Internal Rotational Inspection Systems (IRIS)
The advantages of the IRIS inspection technique include the following:
- It is very accurate. Wall thickness measurements can be made, with the use of a
15MHz-focused transducer, to an accuracy of within 0.1mm.
- It is a fairly sensitive technique. The sensitivity achieved will depend on tube dimensions
and tube cleanliness. In general, it can be stated that, it should be possible to detect a
1.5mm defect in tubing up to 1 inch which has been properly cleaned.
- Both ferromagnetic and non-ferromagnetic tubes can be inspected
- A three dimensional picture of the defect is obtained, thus the defect profile and its depth
- Interpretation of results is easier than in the other techniques assuming that reasonable
tube cleanliness has been achieved.